The concept is similar to Alisa and J.B. who spent a year only eating food that came from within a 100-mile radius. When grocery stores waste a lot of energy trucking in food from all over the country and world (even if it's organic), it has a hugely negative impact on the environment. Even the Whole Foods in Houston carries conventional apples from South Africa and New Zealand. Ridiculous!
The wedding has tons of inspiring details:
- A bridesmaid made soup for the reception and a family member made fresh pasta
- Another friend made fresh fruit punches from local raspberries, saskatoons and rhubarb juice
- Five neighbors volunteered to roast the meat for the wedding dinner
- They set the tables with mismatched tablecloths and had local flowers in borrowed vases
- 165 friends, family and neighbors showed up with boxes and bags of dishes, food, and even tablecloths from their own homes