Now, I wish we didn't have extraneous stuff in the first place. It's unnecessary and wasteful. And so much energy and resources go into the production of stuff.
But we had extraneous stuff, so it made sense to sell it. Of the three Rs, reducing is the best, but reusing is the second best. We were happy to give our stuff a second chance in life.
Here's a running tally of what we sold:
- Two palm pilots (we bought them to track our students' progress in our classrooms, but we both ended up using our regular computers instead) = $300
- One inflatable pink kayak (purchased when I lived on the bayou in rural Louisiana) = $150
- One old Mac computer = $500
- One unopened kids' microscope I never used in my classroom = $75
- One math curriculum program I also bought for my classroom = $100
Definitely consider this option if you're hard-pressed for cash. And definitely look on craigslist for random wedding items you're looking for.