I've been in a very blah mood the past couple days and have had trouble mustering the energy or motivation to finish planning my Retro Prom birthday party. But since the party is tomorrow, I haven't had much choice but to go ahead and get shit done.
Here's a list of what I've been able to force myself to accomplish:
- Decided on the appetizers: spinach & artichoke dip in a bread bowl, homemade guacamole, and chocolate fondue with pineapple, bananas, strawberries, and pretzels (yes, I realize fondue is a dessert and I'm talking about appetizers but does it really matter?).
- Decided on the cocktail: I'm setting up vodka, three different juices (pineapple, cranberry, and orange), and limes, and posting four different drink recipes that can be made from the aforementioned ingredients.
- Sewed napkins: Matt and I use cloth napkins for dinner every night, but we don't have enough for 16 guests. I went ahead and used one of my vintage sheets (Option #2) to make 15 new napkins. It was a pain, but I'm glad I did it. We'll be able to use them for future dinner parties, as well.
- Decided on decorations: I couldn't resist the Martha Stewart poof balls. They're cheap and easy and they scream "Party time!"
- Rented a Party Bus and then canceled it: Seriously, I rented a 15-passenger van for $122 but quickly realized that it wasn't worth that much money for an 8-mile ride. Still, it would've been fun and more ecologically friendly for everyone to carpool together.
- Dealt with the awfulness that is my new crinoline: My new crinoline is broken china waiting to happen. Seriously, it's so poofy I can't walk anywhere without knocking something over. I've cut an entire layer off, which definitely helps.
Cross your fingers that my birthday party is a good time!
Photo courtesy of Martha Stewart Weddings