Finally! I've been waiting for an opportunity to attempt something like Kimi's amazing wedding dress ever since I saw it oh-so long ago. For a while, I coveted a J.Crew dress to use as my base, but it was too expensive. First of all, I might botch the entire thing, and therefore don't want to invest too much in this project. Secondly, Kimi's wedding dress only cost $68, so I think it's appropriate to maintain the budget-minded spirit.
Enter, a cheap black dress from Target. Perfect! I'll be going to a gala at the beginning of August, so it will be the perfect place to wear my dress (assuming it works out!).
Here's what Kimi has to say about her process:
I went to fabric stores and in the dusty basement of one found a kind of flocked velvet backed with acrylic. If it had been regular velvet, or any other normal fabric, the edges would have shredded with the thin delicate shapes I was planning. There aren't really any DIY instructions because they would have to say "Be an Artist and Graphic Designer Like Me," which isn't very helpful. I just took a pair of scissors and went at it—but there are tons of patterns on the web that people could trace. I cut out hundreds of leaves and vines and animals until I had shapes that looked good. Then I took the clean dress and laid it out on the floor and began arranging all the pieces until I got a pattern I liked. Then the hot glue gun came out (superglue also works I discovered later, and I was too lazy to even try fabric glue).
So I need to find some velvet backed with acrylic. Hmm...
Also, I think I will need to draw some designs on paper and use those as a pattern for cutting out the fabric. I seriously doubt my ability to freehand such a project...