Tying the Knot in a Meaningful and Memorable Way (Without Losing Our Savings or Sanity)

Monday, August 23, 2010

DIY: Dress Applique





I finally got around to emulating Kimi's dress (well, to the best of my much-less-artistic abilities!).

Thanks to a kindred spirit's recommendation within the comments section from a post I wrote a while ago, I decided to use Wonder Under to attach the applique fabric to the fabric of the dress.

Here's what I did:
  1. At the fabric store, I searched high and low for an applique fabric that would not fray. I managed to find a velvet that didn't fray, but it was stretchy. I worried that the stretchiness would make it difficult to deal with, but since I wasn't actually sewing it to anything, it didn't end up making the project too much harder.
  2. I asked the fabric store clerk to direct me to the Wonder Under. I've used Steam-a-Seam before, and Wonder Under is like its less expensive twin sister. You buy it by the yard, and it's so cheap! I got enough Wonder Under to match up with my velvet fabric.
  3. Following the instructions on the Wonder Under, I ironed the Wonder Under to my velvet.
  4. Next, I flipped the whole thing over and started to draw my design on the white paper backing (remembering that it would be in reverse). I tried to use a light pencil, so I could erase every time I messed up (which happened a lot!). I mainly drew my design by staring at Kimi's dress (even though mine completely pales in comparison!). I also looked at clipart of birds to help me draw the bird. If I were less lazy, I could have printed clipart, cut it out, and then traced it onto my paper/fabric.
  5. After I sketched everything out in pencil, I went over the design with a black Sharpie, so I knew exactly where I needed to cut.
  6. Then I spent a very long time cutting out the design. Emphasis on very long.
  7. After peeling off the back of the Wonder Under, I was then able to lay out the applique on my dress.
  8. With the design in place, I slid the ironing board under my dress and began ironing on the applique (again, following the directions that came with the Wonder Under).

And that was it! (Those directions definitely make it sound easier than it was...the process was quite tedious at times...).

I've worn the dress once (and won't be able to wear it again for a while because my breasts are swelling big time, in response to this pregnancy!). I didn't get a single compliment on it, but I'm quite happy with the way it turned out. I think this process would be an excellent way to embellish a wedding dress.



Share |

7 comments:

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

Awesome, girl, that dress is amazing! Consider that your first compliment because you did a kick ass job.

Sara E. Cotner said...

Hi, miss fancy pants: Thank you! I didn't mean to imply that I was expecting a compliment. It's just that I always feel a little insecure when I make something and no one says anything at all!

Happy Monday,

s.

lene said...

I totally agree with miss fancy pants!! It is an awsome dress :)

Ps: your second compliment :D

Sara said...

LOVE the dress - nice work! :)

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is really, really stunning. Amazing job!

Mia said...

Nice! I believe you when you said it's long !

Barefoot said...

Amazing! Kimi's dress was one of the first wedding-ish dresses that I lusted for. What a remarkable and wearable take off on that dress - it reminds me of some of the $$$ dresses available at Anthropologie right now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails